Wednesday, October 3, 2012

So... why?

I love blogging.

I'm frustrated by most of the online resources for bloggers. Most of them seem to be dominated by bloggers who blog purely for money. And many of those are bloggers who blog about blogging, purely for money. A fair percentage of them are bloggers who blog about blogging about blogging purely for money.

I persist in believing that blogging is a large enough subject to merit fascinating discussions that have nothing to do with clickthrough percentages and SEO. I want to talk about blogging as a mode of communication, shared culture, shared friendships and triumphs and failures and philosophies and, well, like that.

I don't know if that conversation exists or could exist. I don't know if a blog is the best place to try to have that conversation--it seems logical that a forum is a better place, but I've seen what happens to forums that don't establish critical mass. They die. And a forum with no posts for the past six months is sadder than a blog with no comments for the same period. So, a blog it is.

And it is, yes, a very plain blog. A very standard-template Blogger blog. No technical touches, no design touches, really, no touches at all. It's not about that part of blogging. But I hope that it will interest a few people all the same.

Image: Wikimedia Commons.

4 comments:

  1. Love the name of the blog! I'm not sure how often I'll be able to pop by, but you know I will at times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree.
    I always considered my blog a place where to freely share opinions without any financial gain. If I occasionally get a free sample, great, but I do it for fun and enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, APB! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I hope you do wander by now and then, as I figure out what I'm doing here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo, Ines! Yes! As I look for ideas for this blog, I'm seeing, even more, how completely the conversation about blogging is dominated by profit - direct profit from the blog, or profit from selling products hawked on the blog. I think that a small percentage of blogs are created to make money (or at least a small percentage of the blogs that last more than a few months), but almost every scrap of discussion about blogging is about money. It's just weird.

    ReplyDelete